Welcome to the reincarnation of my blog. This will be a public forum (why else would I publish it to a blog?) but mostly I plan to use this space to organize my thoughts about EVE Online and maybe a few random thoughts that are only peripherally related to EVE. I'm familiar with the characters on EVE forums, so comments will be moderated. Trolls, griefers, and those with nothing constructive to add will be ignored. I may also delete anonymous postings; I'm putting myself out here and showing you my face - the least you can do is show yours.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tristan Project

One down, 100+ to go.  I'm starting to rethink this project already.

A) Tristans are no match for destroyers.  I barely had my opponent's Thrasher half through shields before I popped.  I think the only damage I was dealing was with my rockets.  I was scrammed and webbed before I could close the range.  Six AC II's are going to do a lot more damage in 5s it takes to get in blaster range than a couble of rockets launchers are.  To add insult to injury, I paid the 30m isk ransom my opponent asked for to spare my 100m isk implants and 20m isk clone.  (Note:  be sure to use empty clone next time).

B)  I forgot to overheat weapons; I should have overheated weapons at the start of the 15s engagement, but I'm not sure that would have made a difference.  Also, my drone never the cargo bay - DOH!  But really, even if I had remembered to do those things, I'm not sure that I'd have had enough time to manually adjust my orbit.

C)  I spent three hours looking for a solo match near Amamake for Tristan #2.  All of the ships I found were T2 frigates or small gangs.  Solo kills are elusive, especially for the lowly Tristan.

As for my pledge - flying a Trsitan exclusively until I have 10 kills is not realistic.  I have the means to purchase 100 fitted Tristans, but getting even a small number of ships to another region without using my hauler just isn't reasonable.  Also, I've been invited a number of times to join other operations that require a bit more firepower than my Tristan can supply and it seems pointless to pass those opportunities up for the sake of the pledge.

No, I'm not giving up just yet.  I just have to be more realistic about my expectations.  I have an opportunity to take a few Tristans out to NPC null sec.  This opportunity comes at a time when I've been invited to join a WH corp.  If I join the WH corp, I will not likely have an opportunity to use my Tristans.  On the otherhand, I've been leaning toward life in the hole since I came back to EVE a few months back.  I'm drawn to the frontier and wild-west game play idea.  So, yeah.  I'm rethinking this project.  Meanwhile, if you happen to see me in a Tristan, grab a frigate and engage me, but don't expect me to pay more than 15m ransom for my pod.

On another note:  I need to stay away from EVE-O forums.  Its a poisonous environment with lots of rage from a lot of folks who think they know how to design a game better than the professionals.  Also, that bitter taste in my mouth is starting to become noticeable again.

1 comment:

  1. Don't stick to it. Go do other things and come back to the Tristans when you have the time and inclination.

    ReplyDelete